Assisting Clients With Parental Relocation Issues

After a divorce, a dispute may arise when a custodial parent wishes to move to a new location with the minor children. Given the impact on a noncustodial parent's visitation rights, the noncustodial parent may wish to object to such a move.

Most divorce judgments and marital settlement agreements contain language that specify that a custodial parent must seek the approval of the noncustodial parent or a court if they wish to move to a different location that is of sufficient distance as to significantly disrupt the noncustodial parent's visitation rights.

Consult An Attorney To Protect Your Rights

All too often, custodial parents move with minor children prior to seeking a written agreement of the noncustodial parent or without obtaining prior court approval. This is a significant error, as a failure to abide by the terms of a divorce decree or other custody order can result in significant court sanctions, including a loss of primary custody.

If you wish to move to a new location with minor children or you wish to oppose a move by a custodial parent, protect your rights by consulting with an experienced divorce and family law attorney at our family law firm. We help mothers and fathers protect their custody and visitation rights. We are committed to providing quality legal representation and reasonable rates.

Give Us A Call | We Can Help

We represent clients throughout Sonoma County and beyond from our office in Santa Rosa, California. To schedule a consultation with an attorney, contact the Law Offices of James V. Sansone at 707-623-1875.