Even Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog parted ways. Other notables include:
- Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert
- Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstone
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale
- Donald and Shelly Sterling (okay, they're not celebrities but he did own the Clippers)
There were rumors about Will Smith and Jada Pickett but the actor set the record straight on Twitter, ending the message emphatically with "NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!!!!!!!! :-)"
What You Can Learn from the Spike in Divorces
What can the rest of us learn from this summer trend? A couple of things.
- Have you ever asked a couple who's been married for 50 years what the secret to their longevity is? I have. They'll tell you this, "It takes work." Relationships involve compromise, surviving the bad times, and working through the sticky times. Of course, they also involve a lot of fun, commitment, and wonderful memories.
- Narcissists do successfully marry but even if you're a narcissist, in a marriage you need to put your spouse and children first. That doesn't mean you won't spend a lot of evenings at the office working. It does mean that you'll allocate plenty of quality time for the things in life that truly matter: your spouse and your kids
What is surprising about this summer's divorces is that after 60 years of marriage, Donald and Shelly Sterling are parting ways.
Donald is suing his wife as well as the NBA for the sale of the Clippers for $2 billion. It was Shelly who handled the sale of the team after doctors determined that the former owner was no longer competent to handle his business affairs.
Meanwhile, Donald filed paperwork with the court that noted the couple's date of separation as August 1, 2012. Shelly denies they were separated.
Tennessee Allows Its First Same-Sex Divorce
While they aren't celebrities, Frederick Michael Borman and Larry Kevin Pyles-Borman did make the news.
According to a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision, the same-sex couple has won the right to divorce in Tennessee even though they got married in Iowa.
This case made news since it's the first same-sex divorce ever to have occurred in the state.