Lake 707-993-4068
Mendocino 707-234-4054
Santa Rosa 707-623-1875
Experience the difference

Reducing spousal support because of cohabitation is possible

Your divorce is long over, but you have new questions regarding your spousal support payments. If you have noticed recent changes in the habits and lifestyle of your ex, you may be wondering if there is a way to modify your alimony order.

If your former spouse is living with a new significant other, you might be able to reduce your financial obligations. Cohabitation is one of the main reasons for reducing spousal support in California. Keep reading for some tips to help you pursue a spousal support modification.

Gathering evidence

First, you will need to offer proof that your ex is cohabiting and thus experiencing a significant change in economic circumstances. One of the first ways to collect evidence is by looking through the social media profiles of your ex. People often post about new relationships, purchases and vacations on these sites. Screenshot any information you think may be helpful.

You may also need to talk to a family law attorney about issuing a public records request or subpoenas. This process can provide proof of residency, lease agreements and bank statements.

Changes do not happen automatically

Even if you feel like you have compelling evidence, sometimes it falls short of being a means to reduce your spousal support payments. Proof of cohabitation alone is not an immediate home run. Your spouse may be able to provide proof that he or she still requires support. If the court refuses your modification request, you may always try again when there is another substantial change in circumstances.

Alimony obligations can start to weigh on you over the years. It can get even more frustrating if you know your ex is living with someone new and getting financial support. If these questions are endlessly running through your mind, you might want to talk to an attorney about your options.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.